When we are closed

outofhoursIf you require urgent medical assistance which cannot wait until the surgery reopens you should

ring the Urgent Care Service on: 111

This service is for urgent medical situations – if you, or a member of your family, become ill and you are concerned. It is not for routine enquiries, such as booking an appointment with your GP, repeat prescriptions, test results etc.

When you ring the NHS 111 Service call centre a trained member of staff will answer the phone and take some details from you. They will pass your details straight over to a doctor or nurse who will ring you back to ask you more about the problem and, with you, will decide the best option for you. Depending on the seriousness of your condition, this might be:

  • Advice over the telephone,
  • A visit to a local treatment centre, or
  • A home visit by a nurse, doctor or paramedic

Calls to the NHS 111 number are free from both landlines and mobiles (although pay-as-you-go mobiles must have at least 1p credit)

SWANAGE HOSPITAL – offers a Minor Injuries Service covering the Purbeck area. Nurse led service assessing and treating non-life threatening injuries to adults and children as follows:

  • Injuries to upper and lower limbs •Broken bones, sprains, bruises and wounds to shoulder, upper limbs knee, lower leg, ankle and foot •Bites – human, animal and insect
  • Burns and scalds •Wound infections •Minor head injuries •Foreign bodies in eyes, nose and ear •Minor Ailments - check with the MIU first •Emergency contraception •Minor Asthma attacks.

Due to the pandemic they are working differently to normal, so please telephone before attending, to contact the Minor Injuries Unit please telephone: 01929 475009 

Swanage Community Hospital, Queen's Road, Swanage BH19 2ES

Visit a local pharmacy (chemist). Your local paper will have details of pharmacies opening late on weekdays and on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. 

If your injury or illness is severe, or you have had a serious accident, or you have a life threatening medical emergency you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance. Or you can visit your local A&E department.


Suspected heart attack, heavy blood loss, suspected broken bones, deep wounds,severed breathing difficulties, a head injury, chest pain or patient is unconscious.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website