Forms Needing Signature

diaryThe number of forms doctors are being asked to complete is growing fast. They take us longer and longer! In some cases, someone other than a doctor can sign the form for you. The doctor is only allowed to sign a passport application if he has known you personally for two years. BUPA and other private medical insurance claim forms can be signed by your specialist. A parent should sign certificates for school.

Certificates for sickness for periods of less than a week should usually be signed by the sick person themselves using form SC1 available at the surgery – a medical certificate is not normally required. Holiday cancellation insurance does not need a doctor's letter – it needs an official claim form obtainable from your Insurers (a doctor usually does need to fill part of it in.)

If a doctor is asked to do any of the above or similar tasks, we will gladly comply – but will probably charge a fee.  Please also allow up to 7 days for this to be completed.

Other Non NHS Services

The NHS does not pay for medical examinations for HGV and PSV licenses, and for pre employment. Some insurance forms such as the certificate for elderly drivers' insurance appear deceptively simple but need a full medical examination for their completion. Examinations of this nature take quite a long time and are therefore expensive.

A special appointment will be required – not an ordinary surgery appointment – and the fee is payable by the patient at the time of the examination.

Examinations for life insurance companies will also need a special appointment. The fee in this case is usually payable by the Life Insurance Company concerned. 

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website